FLIR ONE (3rd Generation) Thermal Imager Overview
With the FLIR ONE, thermal imaging became something everyone can try out and enjoy. Before this revolutionary bit of kit, thermal imaging hardware was expensive and generally only affordable by companies with specialised use cases.
The new 3rd Generation FLIR ONE takes everything that made the original models so successful and adds a few tweaks for 2017.
The overall unit is still designed to work in conjunction with any modern iOS or Android smartphone and the FLIR companion app.
A unique OneFit connector lets you swap out a Lightning, microUSB or USB Type-c tip, then adjust the height so FLIR ONE continues to work with almost any modern smartphone, even if it's in a case.
In the consumer model you will find a basic thermal imager with an 80x60 resolution. This is overlayed on top of a 1440x1080 visual outline of your surroundings using FLIR's proprietary MSX technology. If you're looking for a more detailed thermal image, then the Pro model offers twice this resolution at 160x120.
FLIR stands for Forward Looking Infrared Radiometer. The technology uses specialised hardware to scan the surroundings, make sense of the radiation it receives, and display that on screen as temperatures that we understand.
Using the companion app, available from iTunes or Google Play, you can view a real time heat map of your surroundings on your phone screen, with a set of simple tools available to take images with a variety of effects.
The FLIR ONE uses a unique combination of Lepton thermal camera and standard VGA visible light camera. This allows the software to produce a dual layer image.
You get the heat map and the visible outline of the subject you're looking at. The result is a highly detailed final image, with the option, afterwards, to separate the two from each other.
Non Contact Spot Measurement
Thanks to the versatile FLIR application, you can set pointers on the screen when viewing the thermal image.
This lets the you mark the specific temperature at an exact point in the image. This is at the same time as the software showing you the full range of temperatures from high to low in the scene.
Temperature differences are recorded in discrete increments as small as 0.1° C. The temperature range on any spot can be between -4°F and 248°F (-20° to 120°C).
There are nine dynamic video palettes to choose from including Gray (White hot) / Hottest / Coldest / Iron / Rainbow / Contrast / Arctic / Lava / Wheel.
FLIR ONE attaches to any modern Apple or Android device.
The new OneFit connector system lets you swap out the correct tip (Lightning / micro USB / USB Type-C) then adjust the height if you happen to be using a case with the handset.
FLIR ONE App
This lets you control the FLIR ONE (3rd Gen) and take images / video.
Explore additional features like FLIR ONE Panorama™, FLIR ONE TimeLapse™, and FLIR ONE CloseUp™ functions.
FLIR ONE App allows you to share thermal images and videos to the social media platform of your choice.
Reasons to buy FLIR ONE (3rd Generation) Thermal Imager
- Proprietary MSX technology for unique dual layer imaging
- New OneFit™ adjustable connector with all major smartphone tips
- 9 dynamic colour palettes
- Panorama & Time Lapse features
- Ruggedised and shockproof for 1.5 metre drops
- Keeps charge with phone battery
FLIR ONE (3rd Generation) Thermal Imager Specifications
- Scene Temp range: -20°C to 120°C
- Accuracy: ±3°C or ±5%, typical*
- Thermal sensitivity (MRDT): 150mK
- Emissivity settings: Matte - 95%, Semi-Matte - 80%, Semi-Glossy - 60%, Glossy - 30%
- Reflected background temperature is 22°C
- Shutter: Automatic / Manual
*Percentage of the difference between ambient and scene temperature. Applicable 60s after start-up when the unit is within 15 °C – 35 °C and the scene is within 5 °C – 120 °C.
- Thermal sensor: Pixel size 12μm, 8-14 μm spectral range
- Thermal resolution: 80x60
- Visual resolution: 1440x1080
- HFOV / VFOV: 50° ± 1° / 38° ± 1°
- Frame rate: 8.7 Hz
- Fixed focus: 15cm - Infinity
- Operating temperature: 0°C to 35°C (charging recommended at 0°C to 30°C)
- Non-Operating temperature: -20°C to -60°C
- Dimensions: 67 x 34 x 14 mm
- Weight: 34.5 grams
- Mechanical Shock: can survive drops to 1.5m
- Battery life: 1 hour
- Battery charge time: 40 minutes
- Video: Lightning / micro USB / USB Type-C
- Video / still image capture: 1440x1080
- Stills capture: radiometric JPEG
- Video capture: MPEG-4 (iOS - MOV / Android MP4)
- Time lapse & Panorama options
- Palettes: Gray (White hot) / Hottest / Coldest / Iron / Rainbow / Contrast / Arctic / Lava / Wheel
- Spot meter: Off / °C / °F. Resolution 0.1°C / 0.1°F
- Adjustable MSX distance: 0.3m – Infinity
- Battery charge monitor: 0 - 100%
- MFi (iOS version) / FCC / CE / RoHS / CEC-BC / EN61233
- Micro USB connector / USB Type-C connector
- At least Android Version 4.4.2
- GPS, Location, OTG USB, Flashlight, and Microphone Capabilities
- GPS, Location, Microphone, and Flashlight Permissions
- Lightning connector
- iPhone 7 / iPhone 7 Plus / iPhone SE / iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 Plus /iPhone 5 / iPhone 5s / iPad Air / iPad Air 2 / iPad Mini / iPad Mini 3 / iPad (4th Generation)