Apple AirPods Overview
Wireless. Effortless. Magical.
AirPods are Apple's first ever truly wireless headphones. As soon as you take AirPods out of their charging case, they will turn on and connect to your iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad or Mac.
If you were listening to music on that device already, it will automatically stream through the AirPods.
AirPods also use optical sensors and a motion accelerometer to detect when they’re in your ears. They also know when they've been taken out of your ears! Removing just one will pause the audio. You can continue to use just one AirPod if the other is placed back in the case.
A double-tap on the AirPods will activate Siri, so you can use voice commands to adjust volume, change track, make calls and run searches or ask for directions.
Apple W1 Chip
Also designed by Apple, the new W1 chip is designed to handle wireless connections seamlessly with iCloud connected devices and other equipment with W1 chips.
Bluetooth is still being used to send the audio information - the W1 chip takes away the frustration of pairing with handsets.
Whether you’re using both AirPods or just one, the W1 chip automatically routes the audio and engages the microphone. When you’re on a call or talking to Siri, an additional accelerometer works with beamforming microphones to filter out background noise and focus on the sound of your voice.
The W1 chip is also extremely low power. This allows the AirPods to have excellent battery life. You can listen to a continuous 5 hours of music on a single charge.
Add in the portable charging case and you can keep them topped up throughout the day. Just 15 minutes in the case delivers 3 hours of charge. The case is also good for several full charges of the AirPods from empty.
Reasons to buy Apple Airpods
- Designed by Apple
- Auto-on / Auto-connected
- One-tap setup (Requires iCloud & macOS Sierra, iOS 10 or watchOS 3)
- Access Siri with a double-tap
- 24-hour+ battery life with Charging Case
- Rapid charging in case
- Rich, high-quality audio and voice
- Seamless switching between devices
What's in the box with Apple AirPods
- Apple AirPods (1 pair)
- AirPods Charging Case
- Lightning to USB cable
Apple AirPods Technical Specification
- AirPods (each): 4 g (0.14 ounces)
- Charging Case: 38 g (1.34 ounces)
- AirPods (each): 16.5 x 18.0 x 40.5 mm (0.65 x 0.71 x 1.59 inches)
- Charging Case: 44.3 x 21.3 x 53.5 mm (1.74 x 0.84 x 2.11 inches)
- AirPods: Bluetooth
- Charging Case: Lightning connector
AirPods Sensors (each):
- Dual beam-forming microphones
- Dual optical sensors
- Motion-detecting accelerometer
- Speech-detecting accelerometer
Power and Battery
- AirPods with Charging Case: more than 24 hours of listening time, up to 11 hours of talk time
- AirPods (single charge): up to 5 hours of listening time, Up to 2 hours of talk time
- 15 minutes in the case equals 3 hours listening time or over an hour of talk time
- All estimates tested with Airpods & iPhone 7 by Apple in August 2016
- iPhone, iPad and iPod touch models with iOS 10 or later
- Apple Watch models with watchOS 3 or later
- Mac models with macOS Sierra or later
Compatibility (As of December 2016)
- iPhone 5
- iPhone 5c
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPad mini 2
- iPad Air
- iPad Air 2
- iPad mini 3
- iPad mini 4
- iPad Pro (9.7-inch)
- iPad Pro (12.9-inch)
- iPod touch 6th Generation
- 38mm Case
- 42mm Case