Thinkware Dash Cam F770 Overview
Dash Cams and in-vehicle recorders have become incredibly popular recently.
Some use them to lower insurance premiums or to ensure they have evidence in the event of an accident. Some just like having detailed footage of their drives. Companies may also install them to check employee's driving and avoid liability for incidents on the road.
With several brands to choose from, it can be difficult to pick apart all the available features. The F770 is a top of the range camera, with GPS capabilities, enhanced night vision and several recording modes to help you obtain the best footage.
Wide Dynamic Range
Emerging from tunnels, past tall buildings or under bright sunlight can cause quick exposure changes. These can result in very bright or dark moments of recording as the camera adjusts.
With the F770's Wide Dynamic Range, such moments are avoided.
Super Night Vision
Night time, back roads without lighting or underground car parks. All situations where a lack of light can make picking out fine details difficult.
Thinkware have developed Super Night Vision - a proprietary technology to increase brightness by up to 1000% in certain scenarios. This reduces noise and grainy effects in low light conditions.
Sudden exposure changes can happen often when driving. This could be from headlights, signage and other environmental factors. The F770 adjusts quickly to changes in order to avoid glare which can affect recording quality.
Using time-lapse you can record at 1 frame per second. This may not be too useful when driving at full speed, but combined with the Parking Mode, can be used to dramatically reduce file size. This can make videos recorded in parking mode up to 16 times longer than normal.
As a bonus, time-lapse footage can be sped up to 15x, so you can swiftly fast forward through parked footage when reviewing videos.
Road Safety Warning System
Incorporated into the F770 software are a number of technologies to keep you safe.
Front Vehicle Departure Warning (FVDW)
If you're sat in traffic, the FVDW will inform you if the car in front is moving off.
Lane Departure Warning (LDWS)
Using the cameras to check the lane markings ahead, the F770 will sound an alarm if you stray out of the lane. Useful for motorway and dual-carriageway driving.
Front Collision Warning System (FCWS)
The camera calculates the distance of vehicles and objects ahead of you in the road. You will receive a warning should you approach too closely at speed.
Safety Camera Alert
The F770 has an onboard database of safety camera locations. This is approximately 18,000 locations for the UK. Thanks to the built-in GPS, the camera knows as you are approaching known safety camera locations.
The database is constantly updated, so make sure to regularly update the F770 to ensure new locations are added. If you park in a range of your home Wi-Fi connection, updates can be handled automatically if the F770 is hardwired.
You will also be informed when you are excessively speeding and in known areas of average speed checks. Overall, the F770 can provide audible and on-screen warnings for 5 types of road safety cameras:
- Red Light Warning System (on traffic lights)
- Speed Camera Warning System (traditional yellow box)
- Red Light & Speed Camera Warning System (a combination of the above)
- Average Speed Warning System (used in contraflow systems)
- Mobile Zone Warning System (Known short term deployments - keep software updated regularly to keep these up to date)
Reasons to buy Thinkware Dash Cam F770
- Compact, lightweight, discrete design
- Sony CMOS sensor - 1080p recording at 30 frames per second
- Several recording modes including night vision, time-lapse, and continuous loop
- Wi-Fi connection to wirelessly update firmware, traffic and connect to smartphones
- DUAL SAVE® (Internal Back Up Memory)
- 140-degree wide angle view
- Thermal protection - designed to resist high temperatures in-car
- Built-in GPS
- Optional rear camera (2 channel)
- 16 GB / 32 GB SD card provided (1 / 2 channel options)
- The hardwiring kit included for continuous power and parking mode
- Thinkware F770 Dash Cam Unit (an optional rear camera if purchased)
- 1x F770 Mount with 3M tape
- Car Charger or Hardwire kit (Choose your option)
- Adhesive Cable Holder
- MicroSD memory card (storage dependent on purchase option) with adapter
- USB MicroSD Card Reader
- Quick Start Guide / Warranty Card
ThinkwareDash Cam F770 Specifications
110 x 60.41 x 31.75 mm
131 grams / 0.28 lbs (main unit)
2.19 MP (Sony CMOS Sensor)
Approx 140 degrees (diagonal)
Full HD (1920 x 1080), front & rear cameras
Supports for Micro SD 16GB / 32GB / 64GB UHS-I
Super Night Vision
Continuous Recording Mode
Incident Recording Mode
Manual Recording Mode
Parking Surveillance Recording Mode
Capturing Still Image
16 GB: 1 Channel - 124 minutes / 2 Channels - 62 minutes
32 GB: 1 Channel - 248 minutes / 2 Channels - 124 minutes
64 GB: 1 Channel - 496 minutes / 2 Channels - 248 minutes
3-Axis Acceleration G-Sensor (3D, ±4G)
Built-in GPS with GLONASS support
Input Voltage: DC 12/24V (Max 35V)
Power Cable Port x 1 (3.5pi)
Power Consumption: 5.3W (mean) - 2 channels @ 30fps / 3.5W (mean) - 1 channel @ 30fps
1 x Video-IN (micro USB), DC-IN, Micro SD slot
Operation Status LED
GPS Receiver LED