Thinkware Dash Cam X550 Overview
Dash Cams and in vehicle recorders have become incredibly popular recently.
Some use them to lower insurance premiums or to ensure they have evidence in the event of an accident. Some just like having detailed footage of their drives. Companies may also install them to check employee's driving and avoid liability for incidents on the road.
With several brands to choose from, it can be difficult to pick apart all the available features. The X550 is a mid-range camera, with GPs capabilities, enhanced night vision and several recording modes to help you obtain the best footage.
Super Night Vision
Night time, back roads without lighting or underground car parks. All situations where a lack of light can make picking out fine details difficult.
Thinkware have developed Super Night Vision - a proprietary technology to increase brightness by up to 1000% in certain scenarios. This reduces noise and grainy effects in low light conditions.
Using time lapse you can record at 1 frame per second. This may not be too useful when driving at full speed, but combined with the Parking Mode, can be used to dramatically reduce file size. This can make videos recorded in parking mode up to 16 times longer than normal.
As a bonus, time lapse footage can be sped up to 15x, so you can swiftly fast forward through parked footage when reviewing videos.
Road Safety Warning System
Incorporated into the X550 software are a number of technlogies to keep you safe.
- Front Vehicle Departure Warning (FVDW)
If you're sat in traffic, the FVDW will inform you if the car in front is moving off.
- Lane Departure Warning (LDWS)
Using the cameras to check the lane markings ahead, the X550 will sound an alarm if you stray out of the lane. Useful for motorway and dual-carriageway driving.
- Front collision Warning System (FCWS)
The camera calculates the distance of vehicles and objects ahead of you in the road. You will receive a warning should you approach to closely at speed.
Safety Camera Alert
The X550 has an on board database of safety camera locations. This is approximately 18,000 locations for the UK. Thanks to the built-in GPS, the camera knows as you are approaching known safety camera locations.
The database is constantly updated, so make sure to regularly update the X550 to ensure new locations are added.
You will also be informed when you are excessively speeding and in known areas of average speed checks. Overall, the X550 can provide audible and on-screen warnings for 5 types of road safety cameras:
- Red Light Warning System (on traffic lights)
- Speed Camera Warning System (traditional yellow box)
- Red Light & Speed Camera Warning System (combination of the above)
- Average Speed Warning System (used in contraflow systems)
- Mobile Zone Warning System (Known short term deployments - keep software updated regulalry to keep these up to date)
A companion application for PC and Mac is available so you can change camera settings and update firmware. You can also view GPS information, playback footage and complete basic editing.
The X550 has a GPS module built into the system. With this, all of your recorded videos are tagged with location data to prove your position and speed.
If you choose to hardwire the X550 to your vehicle's power supply then you can benefit from 'Parking Mode'. This ensures that the X550 is still powered even after you turn the car's ignition off.
By having Parking Mode active, the camera will continue to monitor the car's surroundings and record footage. Perfect for if someone should someone collide with the car while you are away from it.
Thinkware Dash Cam X550 Accessories
There are a number of optional extras for the X550 Dash Cam system.
You can purchase the system in several combinations on this page (with a normal 12V power lead or hardwiring kit, single channel or dual channel with standard or infrared 2nd camera options). If you want extra pieces then you can purchase them separately below
Reasons to buy Thinkware Dash Cam X550
- Compact, lightweight, discrete design
- Sony CMOS sensor - 1080p recording at 30 frames per second
- Several recording modes including night vision, time lapse and continuous loop
- 2.7 inch viewfinder / screen
- 140 degree wide angle view
- Thermal protection - designed to resist high temperatures in-car
- Built in GPS
- Optional rear camera (2 channel)
- 16 GB / 32 GB SD card provided (1 / 2 channel options)
- Optional Hard wiring kit for continuous power and parking mode
What's in the box of Thinkware Dash Cam X550
- X550 Dash Cam Unit (optional rear camera if purchased)
- Mount with 3M tape (1 per camera)
- Car Charger or Hardwire Kit (Choose your option)
- Adhesive Cable Holder (5 per cable)
- Micro SD memory card (storage dependent on purchase) with adapter
- USB Micro SD card reader
- Digital Quick Start Guide / Warranty / User Manual (stored in Micro SD card)
Dash Cam X550 Specifications
- 104.3 x 51.4 x 29.3 mm / 4.1 x 2.02 x 1.15 inches
- 111 grams / 0.24 lbs (main unit)
- 2.4 MP, 1/2.9" (Sony CMOS Sensor)
- 2.7" Clear DIsplay (320 x 240)
- Approx 140 degrees (diagonal)
- Full HD (1920 x 1080), front & rear cameras
- Supports for Micro SD 16GB / 32GB / 64GB UHS-I
- Super Night Vision
- Time Lapse
- Continuous Recording Mode
- Incident Recording Mode
- Manual Recording Mode
- Parking Surveillance Recording Mode
- Capturing Still Image
- Audio Recording
- 16 GB: 1 Channel - 124 minutes / 2 Channels - 62 minutes
- 32 GB: 1 Channel - 248 minutes / 2 Channels - 124 minutes
- 64 GB: 1 Channel - 496 minutes / 2 Channels - 248 minutes
- 3-Axis Acceleration G-Sensor (3D, ±4G)
- Built-in GPS with GLONASS support
- Input Voltage: DC 12/24V (Max 35V)
- Power Cable Port x 1 (3.5pi)
- Power Consumption: 5.3W (mean) - 2 channels @ 30fps / 3.5W (mean) - 1 channel @ 30fps
- Super Capacitor
- 1 x Video-IN (micro USB), DC-IN, Micro SD slot