The Kodak Ektra has been discontinued.
For alternative Android smartphones, view our full range HERE
Kodak Ektra (SIM Free / UK)
A globally recognised brand, Kodak has spent decades providing lenses, cameras, film and printing services to the world.
The Kodak Ektra is a product that is fit for the convergent technology landscape of the 21st century. It's now estimated that the amount of pictures taken on smart mobile devices every year now vastly outweighs that of dedicated cameras.
With that in mind, Kodak have developed the Ektra. Built around a solid Android 6.0 base, the Ektra has photography at its heart, with a wide angle lens, optical image stabilisation and software optimised for photography.
SIM Free / Unlocked UK stock
Clove Technology can provide genuine UK, SIM-free specification Kodak Ektra devices. These are delivered, factory unlocked, for guaranteed use on any UK or EU network.
For 3G and 4G/LTE connectivity outside of Europe, please check the frequency specifications and your local operator for compatibility.
Reasons to buy the Kodak Ektra
- 21 MP Sony imaging sensor with Kodak 6P wide-angle, f/2.0 aperture lens
- Phase Detction Autofocus, dual-tone flash, Optical Image Stabilistaion and HDR
- Dedicated 2-stage horizontal shutter key
- 13MP selfie camera with f/2.2 aperture and PDAF
- Exclusive Kodak camera application & Super 8 video filter app
- Snapseed photo editing suite pre-installed
- Kodak PRINTS app - get physical printed copies of your pictures delivered to your door (region dependent)
- Order personalised Photobooks through a specialised app (released soon after launch, region dependent)
- Easily find more photography-related apps & tools with a curated storefront
Kodak Ektra quick specifications
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow - stable and power efficient
- 5.0" Full HD (1920x1080) display with Corning Gorilla Glass
- 2.3 GHz MediaTek Helio X-20 Deca (10) Core processor & 3GB RAM
- 32GB storage and micro SD compatible (can be used as internal storage)
- Bluetooth 4.1, GPS, Wi-Fi, LTE
- USB Type-C connector
- Quick Charge compatible
Colour and memory variants
The Kodak Ektra is available in Black with a silver trim. The base storage is 32GB, with the option to use external micro SD cards.
- Kodak Ektra smartphone
- 2A UK Charger
- USB A to USB Type-C cable
As the mobile industry has changed the landscape of photography, traditional standalone cameras - once a mainstay of many people's possessions - have been almost completely usurped by mobile cameras in smartphones.
Camera performance is now one of the most important differentiators for high-end smartphones. Frustratingly though, it is something that is often the first to get the chop as soon as you come down a price tier.
Seeking to bridge the gap between smartphone and camera, Kodak have developed the Ektra. Harking back to a traditional design, the Ektra is styled much like a traditional compact film camera, with a curved end for grip, tactile leather coating and large lens module.
The phone itself has a very respectable specification, powered by a new MediaTek Helio X-20 processor. This is the first Deca (10) Core mobile processor, designed for efficient multitasking and power management. With Kodak software optimised for the hardware, battery life should be excellent, even after hours of photography and connection to mobile data networks.
A 5-inch Full HD (1920x1080) screen provides a large viewport for browsing, gaming and taking pictures. Corning Gorilla Glass has been applied to avoid scratches and marks to the display.
The phone has 32 GB of storage, plus you can also use micro SD cards to expand this. Thanks to Android 6.0 Marshmallow, SD cards can now be 'merged' with the base storage, so you can use this extra space to install large applications and download large files.
The Ektra features two very impressive camera modules. The rear camera utilises a top of the range 21 megapixel Sony imaging sensor. This sits behind a custom Kodak 6P lens with f/2.0 aperture. A special Kodak non-reflective lens coating has also been applied to allow for natural light filtering and avoidance of glare or unexpected overexposure.
This main camera also makes use of current high end mobile photography features such as Phase Detection Autofocus (PDAF), Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS), High Dynamic Range (HDR) shooting and dual-tone LED flash.
Sometimes forgotten about, the front facing camera is also very impressive. Rated at 13 megapixels and also using PDAF technology, this is one of the most advanced selfie cameras available today. This also allows for high resolution video calls through Messenger, Skype and other services (network-connection dependent).
As any professional or hobbyist photographer will tell you though, digital imaging results depend on a lot more than just hardware specifications. Decent software is a must and Kodak developed a partnership with Arcsoft, meaning the Kodak Camera app system on the Ektra delivers high grade performance and image processing.
Collaborative Imaging Expertise with ArcSoft®
ArcSoft is a leader in imaging intelligence technology, serving the world’s leading device companies and have developed software embedded solutions in more than 1.5 billion smartphones.
Working closely with corporate partners – including leading OEMs (Samsung, LG, Nokia, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Qualcomm etc.) – they provide a full line of advanced imaging solutions ranging from face and object recognition, content-based analysis for pictures and video, to studio-quality image and video enhancement.
Kodak Camera App
The camera application is a vital tool when taking pictures. Excellent hardware will always take a good picture, however a simple and intuitive interface will make the process easier.
Kodak's application on the Ektra has been specially optimised for the phone's imaging hardware, delivering a smooth photography experience and allowing users to quickly take pictures in Auto mode or make fine tune adjustments in manual mode.
SLR-style Scene Selection Dial
A camera UI dial has been developed to ape the effect of a traditional physical SLR dial. This allows you to quickly change to one of several scenes, or move between manual/auto modes.
In the Manual mode, you can make fine adjustments to certain features in order to optimise your photography to the surrounding environment.
6 options are available:
- Aperture - the camera has a fixed physical f/2.0 aperture however this software system allows for a digital approximation of aperture changes for differing depths of field
- Shutter Speed - reduce the shutter speed to allow more light or increase it for finer detail when capturing moving objects or scenes
- ISO - Increase the ISO to increase 'light sensitivity' - useful when combined with fast shutter speed for capturing situations with high speed objects or continuous flow such as splashing water
- Focus - Touch the screen to override autofocus and manually adjust the focal point
- White Balance - Adjust this to change the overall tone and colour pallette of the image from a colder blue hue through to a warmer yellow/red.
- Exposure - If your chosen Aperture/Shutter Speed/ISO combination isn't quite getting the results you want, try a quick bump to the overall exposure setting to change the image processing
Developed in tandem with ArcSoft (see above), the Night Shot technology helps to produce high quality photography in low-light conditions.
Night Mode shots mitigate ISO related noise and grain, brighten underexposed sections to achieve a natural range and smooths unwanted blur from slow shutter speeds.
Dynamic Focus & Object Tracking
With Dynamic Focus you can override the autofocus systems. This can be particularly useful if you want to focus on a background object or choose a subject from a group where the autofocus is treating everything equally.
Object tracking allows you to select a specific subject or object in frame. The system will then continue to dynamically focus on this object as it moves around. This can be excellent for recording video, or if you are trying to keep focus of a difficult subject - perhaps the new kitten just won't stay still?!
The Bokeh effect is a hugely popular photgraphy trick used to create an exaggerated depth of field. Most commonly, a foreground object is brought into stark focus, while the majority of the background is quite significantly defocussed.
Usually the reserve of powerful standalone camera with adjustable lenses and aperture, the Bokeh mode on the Kodak Ektra lets you simulate this effect without having to manually adjust individual settings.
Arcsoft's HDR technology helps to create images as true to life as possible. With HDR enabled, multiple shots are taken across a range of exposures. The results are quickly fed through the HDR processing algorithm to produce an amalgamated final image.
The final result is often capable of brightening up dark environments, helping to avoid clashing colour and lighting contrasts and bringing detailed landscapes to life by normalising the colour palette.
Known as one of the most complete mobile photo-editing software suites available, Snapseed is highly rated and regularly seen at the top of user experience lists.
Pre-installed on the Kodak Ektra, all of Snapseed's features are available from the moment you take your first picture.
Snapseed has 25 tools and filters available for working with .jpg images you have taken on the Ektra, as well as others that you download or are sent from other sources, including RAW DNG files.
The full list of Snapseed features includes:
- RAW Develop – open and tweak RAW DNG files; save non-destructively or export as JPG (8 controls)
- Tune image – adjust exposure and colour automatically or manually with fine, precise control (7 controls)
- White Balance – adjust the colours so that the image looks more natural
- Details – magically brings out surface structures in images
- Crop – crop freely or to standard sizes (8 aspect ratios)
- Rotate – rotate by 90° or straighten a skewed horizon
- Perspective – fix skewed lines and perfect the geometry of horizons or buildings
- Brush – selectively retouch exposure, saturation, brightness or warmth
- Selective – the renowned Control Point technology: position up to 8 points on the image and assign enhancements, the algorithm magically does the rest
- Healing – remove the uninvited neighbour from a group picture
- Vignette – add a soft darkness around the corners like a beautiful, wide-aperture would do
- Text – add both stylised or plain text (38 predefined styles)
- Lens Blur – add a beautiful Bokeh to images (background softening), ideal for photographic portraits (11 Bokeh types)
- Glamour Glow – add a fine glow to images, great for fashion or portraits (6 styles)
- Tonal Contrast – boost details selectively in the shadows, mid-tones and highlights
- HDR Scape – bring a stunning look to your images by creating the effect of multiple exposures
- Drama – add a hint of doomsday to your images (6 styles)
- Grunge – an edgy look with strong styles and texture overlays (5 basic styles, endless variations)
- Grainy Film – get modern film looks with realistic grain (18 styles)
- Vintage – the style of colour film photo from the 50s, 60s or 70s (12 styles)
- Retrolux – go retro with light leaks, scratches, film styles (13 basic styles, endless variations)
- Noir – Black and White film looks with realistic grain and the wash effect (14 styles)
- Black & White – classic Black and White look straight out of the darkroom (11 styles)
- Frames – add frames with adjustable size (23 frames)
- Face – add focus to the eyes, add face-specific lighting or smooth the skin
Taking advantage of Kodak's global standing, if you are in a country where Kodak offer the service, you can use the Kodak PRINTS app to have select images printed on high quality Kodak photo paper and physically delivered to your door.
Going one step further, Kodak are due to expand the service to creating fully bound Photobooks.
The Super 8 format was used by countless people around the world to record home movies and document their lives. Many modern-day directors will have cut their teeth shooting Super 8!
The distinctive grain and exposure created by the film format and cameras is synonymous with a particular time in history and associated with a certain type of Americana.
With Kodak's Super 8 application for the Ektra, you can recreate the nostalgic look and feel of Super 8 recordings with your smartphone.
Find New Apps
Looking for new Android photography apps and tools? Hunting through the Google Play store is an option but can get difficult with literally hundreds of thousands of unknown developers and similar apps available to browse.
Kodak have a curated storefront on the Ektra that caters just for photography tools. Every app on the store is tested and vetted so you can be sure of trying quality products.